How to check what theme a WordPress website is using
Have you ever wanted to find which WordPress theme a website is using? This article will help you to get the right information.
Method 1: Online automated tools
We can use online tools to find what WordPress theme is been used in a website. They’re very easy to use, you just paste the desired WordPress website URL into their search bar:
Few of the well known online tools are
Method 2: Manually via CSS
Every WordPress theme will have a style.css file & that file contains theme header which tells WordPress the name of the theme, theme author, URI, version, etc.
- Visit the WordPress website in your browser
- Right-click anywhere on the page and select “Inspect” to get the source code of that page
- Look for the style.css (using ctrl+f or cmd+f) and its normally located in /wp-content/themes folder.
- Double click and copy the whole link in which the style.css is located in a new tab/window on your browser (see the image above)
- You should now be on the style file with the name of WordPress theme right at the top, like this:
Open style.css file and you will see the theme header block which contains information about the theme used by the website. Typically, it would contain below information:
Theme Name: Theme Name
Theme URL: https://www.example.com
Author: Theme Author Name
Author URL: https://www.example.com
Description: Theme Name is a flexible WordPress theme designed for portfolio websites
License: GNU General Public License v2 or later
License URL: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html
Text Domain: xyz
Tags: blog, custom-logo, portfolio, e-commerce, rtl-language-support, post-formats, grid-layout